My blog has moved!

You will be automatically redirected to the new address. If that does not occur, visit
https://usustudentspousesclub.wordpress.com/
and update your bookmarks.

December 17, 2012

Meet the Members Monday- Laura H


Hey y’all, I’m Laura Hunter… married to Tim Hunter, MS1/Army (prior service-Coast Guard).  I’m from Texas, Corpus Christi to be exact and very proud of it!  That’s where Tim and I were lucky enough to meet.. but we’ll get to that later!
I have been a career student forever, but have worked pretty much full time to support my education.  I graduated from Texas A&M-Corpus Christi in 2005 with a BS in Marketing. .. with as long as it took me to get that BS, I should have MD behind my name!  I was a lifeguard with the City for those years, first at a pool where I managed and taught swim lessons.  That led into a full time job with the Fire Department as a Gulf Beach Lifeguard.  I lifeguarded for 10 years, then ‘retired’ when I moved to Florida to be with Tim.  Working at the pool is where I met Tim.  He became a regular there, and needless to say, every time I saw him coming down the road, I got my gear and got into the pool to swim laps with him.  I used to be faster than him, but not anymore!  He was in Corpus for flight training, and then moved to his first air station in Clearwater, Florida.   We were married in 2006.  In Florida, I worked as an intern at an advertising agency, then at Franklin Templeton Investments.  (and a side job at the Marble Slab Ice Cream shop!.. loved it)
We then moved to Elizabeth City, North Carolina.  Tim was busy flying and I couldn’t find a job there, so I applied to go to nursing school.  I was accepted and that’s how I spent my time. I came out of lifeguard ‘retirement’ to work part time at the local YMCA.  Half way through school, the Coast Guard short-toured us to go to Hawaii.  If I left then, I would have not been able to finish nursing school.  So I stayed in Elizabeth City to complete my ADN.  We were separated for about 10 months, but it was worth it.  I left there the day after I took (and passed) my boards.
In Hawaii, I spent those 3 years pregnant and having babies.  We really enjoyed being there, but it was tough to go through those life experiences with your family 3,500 miles away (and as much in airfare).  Tim had complete his obligated service with the Coast Guard before he could be released to go to medical school with the army.  He left the Coast Guard as on O4, but is so excited and proud to be part of this program and pinning on O1 again!
I keep myself busy by running after Jack (almost 3) and Brett (15 months).  These two little guys have completed our family, so no more for us!  More power to those who are embarking on new parenthood during school… you are remarkable (:   I’ve been trying to go to the YMCA-BCC a few times a week to get back into shape.. but other hobbies include shopping, baking, bacon, coffee and the occasional girls night out or date night with the hubby – and long walks on the beach, of course.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home